Thursday, March 25, 2010

double baking fun-ness


Thanks to Megan's delicious photo on sugar doughnut muffins a few weeks ago, I just HAD to try make my own! They were easy to make, although I do remember getting the butter/sugar coating part a bit wrong at first which is ridiculous as it is so simple (it was one of those days). They turned out sooooo incredibly yummy! I'm going to be making more in the near future for my sister's engagement party, and I hope I make enough because I know they'll be a hit! This I know because when I made them the first time I made a double batch and my husband and I ate them all in two days....


I also tried my hand making Nelly's Apple Shortcake Afternoon Tea. This was my first time "boiling apples", if that's the right term, and I was quite happy with how they turned out. They were nice and soft and sweet, the only thing I'd change next time is make the slices a bit thinner as even though I made them the thickness the recipe said they were a bit too chunky. I had never whipped cream though so I know next time to add sugar and stop whipping before it starts to taste like butter!

Some exciting news (at least for me) via the Frankie mailing list: "Some exciting news! We've just completed our second cookbook! It’s called Sweet Treats and it is filled with the most delicious old school recipes. It's a little like Afternoon Tea except the recipes are based around candy and other sticky treats (instead of cakes)."
UPDATE: pre-order Sweet Treats here.

I really really want this and cannot wait till it's available! I've discovered the baking nerd in me, and it really shows on the days where I can't help but think "only X number of days left till we move out and I have my own kitchen". It seems pregnancy has unleashed a different side of me.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't they amazing?! I need to make some more, all the boys in my house loved them ;P The apple shortcake looks delicious, I definitely want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sugar doughnut muffins look so tasty! Cool recipe!

    ReplyDelete